Make your own free website on Tripod.com

BUILDING
CF-ALX AND CF-AMX


BUILDING CF-ALX AND CF-AMX


The Kit

The basic 1/72 scale Revell (Germany) kit (#04213) was used for both Junkers F.13 conversions. The kit contains parts for both the land based and float-equipped versions. The quality of the kit is excellent. The moldings are crisp and the parts fit together well.

I used a fascinating book called "Bush Flying to Blind Flying, 1930-1940" by Peter Corley-Smith and news clippings from the 1930's as reference.

An article in the Prince George newspaper's 1930 edition mentioned that provisions were made for the pilot and five passengers. From this info, I assumed that the "bush plane" version of the F.13 had no dual control. Considering that flying in the north where maximum load capacity was the aim, using the co-pilot's seat for the engineer (mechanic) or a passenger made sense. Therefore, I built both models with single control only.

From photographs, the shape of the fin and rudder were established. For both aircraft, the new fin and rudder were fabricated from the parts coming with the kit. [If one wants to scratch build them, Evergreen Scale Models, Car Siding, N scale 3-1/4" spacing (0.20"/0.5 mm) plastic sheet would provide a close match for the corrugated metal effect.]

NOTE: The new rudder is only for the floatplane version of both aircraft.


The following modifications were made to the models:

1. CF-ALX
Pretty well out-of-box.

The exhaust pipe was shortened and turned side-ways to vent outward.

The mast on top (Part No.38), and the step (Part No. 39) were omitted.

New fin, rudder and ventral fin were created by chopping up and re-gluing the parts coming with the kit.

Tail locating slot on the fuselage top was patched up with scrapped tail piece to match the corrugated surface.

Tailplane struts were added.

Because ALX's floats were not factory stock, new floats were made using Airfix 'Beaver' floats. The flat sides were built up with plastic strips and reshaped to round sided ones by sanding them. Pointed rear end tips were made out of thick scrap plastic (spru) and glued onto the end of the floats.

The prop was replaced with a Ju 52 prop.
 

(image) Tail of of CF-ALX
Interior of CF-ALX
Tail of CF-ALX
2. CF-AMX
Almost out-of-box.

The exhaust pipe (Part No. 23) on the top of the engine was omitted and the hole on the engine cover was patched up with a matching corrugated piece of plastic.

The engine cover's handle (Part No 40) was left off. A slit was cut on the right side of the engine cover and six exhaust pipes were added.

Exhaust pipes from a Monogram Me-110 kit were used.

Extra handles were added on the right fuselage side under and aft of the rear window. Part Nos. 40A were used for these, but the ends were cut off to match the Part No. 40 handles.

A small air intake (?) was installed on the top of the fuselage, centre and just behind the rear window. (See drawing.)

A new fin and rudder were fabricated and the tail locating hole was patched up in the same way as described for ALX.

Tailplane struts were added.

The prop was replaced with a Ju 52 prop.

Floats from the kit were used.

Interior of CF-AMX
Tail of CF-AMX


Painting and Lettering

Finished models
Finished models, undersides
Both aircraft were painted aluminum and coal black (Humbrol Nos. 56 and 85). The frames around the front compartment were painted wood. The interior of the planes were painted as per instruction sheet.

Unless one makes his/her own stencils to match the exact letter sizes and shapes, the lettering could be closely matched by using Letraset (very expensive!) or Geotype instant lettering.

For the wing, one can use:

Letraset, Helvetica Medium Condensed #3116 (19.3 mm), or
Helvetica Light Condensed (less suitable), or
Helvetica Medium, or
Geotype Helvetica Medium 304-72 CN pt (19 mm).

I used none of them. Because of the corrugated surfaces, I experimented with Geosign Stick On Letters (19 mm).

The wings were air brushed with colours in reverse order (ie. the underside of the wings were painted white and the upper side in black).

The registration letters were stuck on and the right colours were applied.

Remember the surface is corrugated! Make sure that the paint is not too thin or it will flow under the letters. After the paint dried, the letters were pulled off. It worked like a charm!

On the sides, having no other options, Letraset Helvetica Light Condensed #3114 (7.9 mm) was used.

NOTE: the letter style and shape is somewhat different between the 'medium' and 'light' variants.

Photo of the real aircraft for comparison.

Letraset #1571 was used for the name "CITY OF PRINCE GEORGE". Because this letter size was still too large, the logo was reduced to size and printed onto a clear decal film base using a photocopier, then applied to the model the usual way.

The lettering on the tail was done by hand on a clear decal base.

 

CF-AMX

CF-ALX

In summary, it was fun to build these two historic B.C. bush planes.

Stephen J. Bathy
IPMS Prince George


click here Return to City of Prince George Article

click here Return to the I.P.M.S Prince George page